Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I've been tagged by ZS...

ok I'm semi-new to this blog thing but what the hell, once again I yearn to do a non-political post.
Trivia: If I had to choose between books, movies or music; I could only have one of these for the rest of my life…I’d choose music. What would you choose?

After about a minute of thought I have to choose books; reasoning they said music not talk radio, I love turning on Savage, Hewitt, Coast to Coast, or Loveline (and a few others) and reading a book, usually conservative based. I could wean myself off music granted it would not be easy. I didnt start listening to music 2 years ago and have made up for it. My first CD was Meteora by Linkin Park, it is still one of my favorite CD's. Movies I rarely watch, I perfer TV shows.

Total # of books owned:
I own probably about 100-150, they range from sports, to UFO and government conspiracy stuff to heavy conservative thought to light conservative thought. I tried reading Franken's and Moore's books but I wanted to punch someone/something 10 pages into each so I threw them out, literally.
Last Book I bought:
Liberalism is a Mental Disorder by Michael Savage. Even though he is right the first chapter critiques the Bush admin. Very well written book that I swallowed in about 5 sittings. Even if your to the left of the political spectrum you would be surprised by his views on some issues, oh and by the way he has the #3 rated talk show in the country, I listen 5 nights a week.
Last Book I read:
Well I'm reading It's my party too by Christine Tood Whitman now but I recently finished Winning The Future: A 21st Century Contract with America by Newt Gingrich
Five books that have special meaning to me:
wow tough

Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy: Clancy's best, and most disturbing, piece. A 747 is flown into the capitol and Jack Ryan (who literally 10 mintues ago was sworn in as VP) has to take over a shaken country after the crash wiped out the president, both the houses of Congress, all the Joint Chiefs, and all 9 Supreme Court judges. Scariest part is, it's a little too real. You have to read the first 6 Clancy books for this to make sense and it took me from jan-july '04 to get through these first 6 and this one and I still have two that I have to get back to. Very good, but long read; serious reading effort required, ZS I am recommending this to you barring that you haven't already read it.

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy: The follow-up to Debt of Honor, have to read first 7 but once again amazing read. Clancy provides a very real post terrorist attack scenario that seems like you could almost be reading a history book (btw EO was written in 1996, think about that) of what would happen if this doomsday scenario came true. Once again ZS I recommend this book for you unless you haven't already read it.

To Kill A Mockingbird: One of the best books I've ever read, I will never forget how well written it was and what meaning it had. A 9th grader (which I was at the time) can't really appreciate it unless he/she has a grasp on history. Great book recommended to all even if you have read it, re-read it.

Animal Farm: A book I read in 9th grade also. Once again an amazing piece of literature, and possibly one of the best quotes of all-time; "Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others." I mean holy shit, how unbelieveably true is that?!?!

Savage Nation: Yes this book has permanently set me on the course to conservatism, this made me feel happy that someone else out there had the same views I did and others must too. I mean 3 consecutive NYT Bestsellers in 3 years!?! Al Franken couldn't do that if he sold his soul. Plus not to mention NO ONE (not even Fox News) mentions his books. He has a loyal following and I am proud to be a part of it.

Oh for the hell of it here's a list of bands that I own at least one cd of (did that make and sense?).
Seether
NIN
Audioslave
Linkin Park
Nirvana
Nickelback
Green Day (surprise I know)
Offspring
Papa Roach
Lost Prophets
and the list will grow...
also I have to mention one last Clancy book...
The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy: I will not say to much about this book except for the fact that if you saw the movie, don't worry it's not even close. All I will say about it is nuke goes off in Superbowl: Vikings vs. Chargers. Read it. Also, the movie was probably the most inaccurate portrayal of a book I HAVE EVER SEEN.
Alright I guess I will tag tshsmom and slade, go for it people!

6 comments:

Ben said...

yes I am aware, I'm just saying that it was such an amazing and insightful statement. I probably should have mentioned that so it had some context... and I am aware that our founding documents deny it, but like it or not there is truth to it not just in our American society but in all societies across the world.

The Zombieslayer said...

I have one Tom Clancy novel and it's collecting dust because I have a long queue of books to read. I don't even remember which one. However, The Sum of All Fears could never happen because the Vikings and the Chargers will never make it to the SuperBowl together. ;)

Animal Farm is one of my favorite books. I wrote a report on it comparing it to the 1st and 2nd Russian Revolutions of 1917, then Stalin. Did you know that first guy, I think his name was Kerensky or something like that, actually moved to America and became a college professor? Then Lenin came in and he was evil, but nothing compared to the evil of Stalin.

I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird even though it's supposed to be one of the better classics of all time.

The Zombieslayer said...

Oh, as for Savage, loved his radio show back when I was living in Los Angeles. We'd alternate between Savage and Tom Lykus. I don't agree with everything Savage says but I liked him because he's funny to listen to and he's so anti-illegal immigration. I haven't seen his books yet. Savage says what's on his mind, consequences be d*mned.

If you haven't read it yet, Ben, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Redneck Manifesto. The last chapter is called Several Compelling Arguments for the Enslavement of All White Liberals. It's so funny. Think of a white version of Dave Chappelle. It may be the funniest book you'll read this year.

Paul, you're a very intelligent guy, you should pick it up too. He's not stereotyping all liberals by any means, just the guilty white ones who come from privilege who want to make everyone feel just as guilty as they do. I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about.

Ben said...

ZS, thanks I'll look into it.

The Zombieslayer said...

Paul - Glad you found it funny. I was not implying you should read it to get offended, by any means. It's just a good book to rethink your beliefs while getting a good laugh. I had no idea just how big white slavery was back in Colonial America.

Mrs. Zombieslayer and I will be hitting Barnes and Noodles soon. I think I'll look for that Jon Stewart book. As I've said before, I could care less about where someone is on the political spectrum as long as they're either cool or they make me laugh.

Ben said...

You'll love it ZS, the best part is meet yourt lobbyist page with NAMBLA.