Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life sucks then you die...

No political posting here today. Tonight I just went to my Senate Districts monthly meeting/dinner and I found out that one of the founders of our group had just died from bone cancer. He died earlier this month after being diagnosed in March. I didn't even know, he was 65, his name is John Swon. If you are religious (even if your not) I would appreciate if you readers out there (all 2 of you) to keep him and his family in your prayers. Also a much sadder situation I found out about last friday that was probably the equivalent to getting punched in the stomach. I still go to all my old high school's football games because I am a nerd like that. I noticed that there was a jersey on the sideline, it was the jersey of a classmate of mine who graduated the year after I did and I knew he had/has been battling cancer. I actually talked with his mom for 5-10 minutes a couple of weeks ago before a away game. Anyway, I had kinda one of those oh shit what happened thoughts then forgot about it. That is until a mom of a friend of his who I had known for years told me that he was home from the hospital, I could just tell in her face that this was good news. I asked the question I feared to know the answer to, "It's not terminal is it?", she said yes quietly, figuring in for a penny in for a pound I asked, "how long?", "2 months" she replied. 2 FUCKING MONTHS. Man at a time like this it really puts things into persepective, I really couldn't enjoy the rest of the game after that, I left at halftime partly because I had a presidential debate party to go to and partly because I couldn't keep my composure there. The kid is one tough son of a bitch and to think that he's not even going to live to see his 21st birthday. It's just not fair, thank god I have my faith to fall back on. I really don't know how people who don't believe in a higher power deal with death. Knowing or at least believing that there is something beyond this life is actually quite comforting despite what "elightened individuals" may say. In the end it doesn't make it any easier but your comforted with the thought/belief that they are at peace now and not suffering anymore. Still no one should have to go through what he has gone through and continues to go through. On a happier note I just joined a group on facebook called "ideas for Matt". He has a lot of friends and you can believe that he will have a blast before he leaves this earth. When his time comes his friends and family want to make sure he lived with no regrets. With that being said does anyone have any ideas for him. I know you don't know him and I don't know him as well as I'd like to but I hope to before he leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It's just not fair, thank god I have my faith to fall back on. I really don't know how people who don't believe in a higher power deal with death. Knowing or at least believing that there is something beyond this life is actually quite comforting despite what "elightened individuals" may say. In the end it doesn't make it any easier but your comforted with the thought/belief that they are at peace now and not suffering anymore."

Faith shouldn't be a question of what makes the individual "feel better." Most atheists recognize that it would be significantly more comforting to believe in a God and an afterlife, but they will not (or cannot) believe something just because it has positive benefits.

What's more important? -- the truth (what is actually the case) or that which increases the individual's happiness (even if it is not the case)?

This is not a loaded question -- I think both sides have legitimate points.

But concerning issues of faith, I think many atheists would like to believe in God, and they recognize sincere faith would help bring them peace of mind, but they do not have the ability to believe in something that is false, even if it would be hedonistically beneficial.