Thursday, April 09, 2009

Things that make you question God

I know that title may stun some of you. I grew up forced Catholic and renounced it the second I got out of high school. I consider myself non-denominational christian now but enough about me. Today there was a story in the world of sports that just makes you ask, why? Nick Adenhart was the Angels #1 pitching prospect in their organization, he just had started his 4th game at the MLB level and cleaned up a ok Oakland A's lineup. He was riding with a couple friend and his 20 year old "girlfriend" at about 12:30amPST this morning. I mean this kid had just pitched the first of what was for sure going to be many great starts in major league baseball. This kid was on top of the world. A drunk driver in a minivan with a SUSPENDED LISCENSE AND HISTORY OF DRUNK DRIVING decided to run a red light, at the same time the car the 4 were in was in the middle of an intersection. He was one of the 3 killed in the accident. (as a sidenote I hopee he spends the rest of his life behind bars but sadly he probably won't considering how overcrowded prisons are in Cali, I hope he becomes someone's bitch and won't be able to sit down comfterably again for the rest of his life)
Now I know a lot of you a kneejerk reaction would be anger, and that is mine too for sure don't get me wrong, but also the only proof I need of God's existence is not seeing a man leave this earth at an insanely young age (in fact he was born in the same month and year as me, hits a little close to home), its the reaction of everyone who knew him coming together to console each other. To any Angel fans out there I know exactly how you feel. No, I'm NOT just saying that I've went through this not once, but twice tragically in the span of 15 months. Malik Sealy was killed back in May of 2000 by a drunk driver driving the wrong way on a freeway I still pass 15-20 times a month (great opening up old wounds) and Korey Stringer dying of heat exhaustion back in training camp in 2001. My prayers are with the family friends and angels organization and as a small personal gesture I am permanately adopting them as a team I will root for whenever they don't play my Twins. Go Angels, stay strong and go out and make Nick proud. You will forever have an angel watching your Angels and keeping after you guys.

1 comment:

The Zombieslayer said...

I'm not even an Angel fan and it's hit us all here. He's a California pitcher so we all feel bad for him out here especially.

And yeah, our prisons are crowded so he'll get out in half the time for "good behavior" and probably kill again. Like I've always said, if you want to kill someone, use a car. It's a slap on the wrist comparatively.

It's sickening. My heart goes out to Adenhart's loved ones. As sick as this sounds, I hope that asshole driver gets raped in prison as well. Screw him. The whole thing pisses me off.