Sunday, January 24, 2010

Will the Vikings win?

In reflection of how badly I've been burned by local teams (read below), I just can't get too excited about the game today. Unlike most Vikings fans I approach tonights game with a sense of dread not optimism, if they win it will be a unexpected joy for me if not, well it won't be as devestating as 1998 but its still going to hurt. This is a comment I left on Shot in the Dark about a half hour ago.

I am so beat down by local sports I’ve already basically prepped me for the dissappointment. My most heartbreaking moments in order (locallly); #1 the 1998 Vikings, I mean seriously 15-1 unbeatable and they lose to the damn dirty birds. #2 2003-04 Minnesota Timberwolves, up 2-1 on the Lakers in the Western Confrence finals and go on to lose 3 in a row. #3 2002 Minnesota Twins, after doing the impossible with beating the A’s in the ALDS they go up 1-0 on the Angels with home-field 2 months after they were nearly contracted out of existence. They go on to lose 4 in a row to the eventual World Champs. If the Vikings win it will be a fluke. The 2 national championships by the Gophers hockey team doesn’t count because they are minor, and had actually won championships before. I can’t explain how the Twins won in 87 and 91, those are exceptions to the rule not the rule.

1 comment:

K-Rod said...

No, Ben, the Vikings will NOT win.