Monday, March 15, 2010

While we go back and forth on Healthcare

Our neighbors to the south are battling a much more significant issue. When it comes to stuff like this it really makes you grateful to live in a country like this where we have the ability to debate such things as healthcare and other meaningless liberal crap (in comparison). In an effort to make myself actually write more on this blog I have decided to rely less on articles from the web on content and work on more original content. I have decided to write a paper about this in my Latin American politics class and if it turns out well I will post it here.
The problem I have with this drug cartel issue in Mexico is not that I think drugs should be legalized to solve this problem because it wouldn't. It would be the medical equivalent of putting a band-aid on a broken arm. It feels good to do and in some ways of thinking it might make seem to do good but in reality it does nothing. Believe me, part of my libertarian beliefs say that they should but all it would do is create another market, if the government sells weed for say, $50 a dimebag (I'm not a smoker, I have no idea if this is "market value" now or not) the drug cartels would lowball it to $15-25 since they have almost no overhead. All legalizing drugs would do would make them more available to the average person and make the drug lords a little less rich.
So what do we do? We have to get together an elite Mexico squad that is paid well enough so the cartels wouldn't recruit them, which is Mexico's #1 problem with the drug war. The cartels are virtually running Mexico and if we are not careful this drug war will spill over into the US and become a massive security problem. I will do a running series on this throughout the week because the media is fianlly starting to pay attention to it and it is a real national security problem. I am on spring break this week so hopefully I will be up for daily posts.

No comments: