Sunday, July 31, 2005

Absolute insane week...

Ok, this post is a recap of the last 8 days of my insane life. On Sunday, me and my Uncle went to the Nationals game at RFK stadium. It was a blast and I had a great time. They lost though, great fans. On Monday me, my mom and Aunt went to DC to go see the WWII memorial again, which leads to this. On Tuesday we were hading down to NC to see my cousin and his family when we got a call from my other Aunt that lives in FLA saying my grandpa was on morphine and oxygen. So we turnedf around and got up here to Try NY at about 10 pm on tuesday. At 4am the next morning my grandpa finally died. It was for the better though, the last 13 years had been very rough for him. On Wednesday we were getting all the funeral arrangment together and everyone was trying to book tickets to get here (my mom comes from a family of 5 kids). Tuesday night something interesting happened. I was sitting down in my grandmas living room watching TV when a stack of magazines fell, I thought nothing of it. Then, less than a minute later, it fell again. I thouhg to myself that it was a sign so I looked up and said, "Ok, Gramps, I get it. Your ok." And it didn't happen again. Then on Thursday people started to arrive, my dad, uncle and aunt and other friends of Gramps. It was just a blur. Late that night though around 2am a gust of wind came through and the door opened a crack. But the thing was the wind came from the wrong direction, I looked up and said, "Thanks for checking in Gramps, but if you do it again don't scare me like that." On Friday we had the wake. And the rest of the family arrrived. It was nuts. On Saturday we had the funeral and I had the honor of being a paul bearer for my Gramps. It was, needless to say, a sobering experience. He got the full respects paid by the military, bugle an all. he was a WWII vet who got injured in the Battle of the Bulge. He was a great man. Today I went to Giants traning camp and that was pretty fun. Well I got to go everyone, I will be back in MN at 7-8pm tommorow where I will give a final recap and please keep my family in your prayers.

5 comments:

The Zombieslayer said...

Will do, Ben.
Welcome back. May your grandfather rest in peace. Wow, a WWII vet. That's really cool.

Ben said...

thanks ZS. Yea it was really cool, I liked bragging to my friends about him.

Ben said...

Thanks Dave, it really does mean a lot to me.

tshsmom said...

Sorry about your Grandpa, Ben!
I'm one of the few people who will believe that the strange incidents were your Grandpa saying "goodbye and I'm fine". My Grandma did the same thing with me.

Ben said...

tshsmom, were not alone, a lot of people feel that way. No one called me crazy thank god.