Monday, August 29, 2005

what will be my first article...

all of you bloggers out there will have a preview to every opinion piece I write. Here's the first one

My view has changed of the war, but I still support it"

Hello and welcome to the opinion page Normandale readers. I am your editor for this page for the year. As you can see I am coming out with guns blazing.
'Why has your view changed Ben?' would be the first obvious question, well you see a very good family friend of mine, who is a graduate of Westpoint is over there now as a leuitenant. Our families have known each other since I was around 5 and I see his parents on occasion around town. He is an awesome kid, very smart, funny, and most importantly, brave. So if any of you liberals come up and try to heckle me fine, be prepared for a huge lesson, I am not scared of any of you.
I get so sick of all of you "I support the troops, but bring them home NOW!" or "I support the troops but not their mission" liberals. Really? Let's break this one down. If you support the troops you should support their decision to join and fight, but not in Iraq? Not to mention the fact that it is a VOLUNTEER ARMY and the re-enlistment rate is 90%. No, the main stream media (MSM) oddly ignores that fact. I don't care weather or not you think the war was justified, were over there now and there's nothing you can do about it (despite what Cindy Sheehan may make you think). If we pull out now the terrorists will consider that a victory and it would only help their cause in recruiting more terrorists, not insurgents, terrorists. Once again, the blame America first crowd is howling because we did something as radical as protect our best interests as opposed to what's good for the 'world community', even if it was on bad information. By the way, everyone thought Saddam had WMD's. Including the leftiest of the left. Don't believe me?
'We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction.'
Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002.
'Saddam's goal ... is to achieve the lifting of U.N. sanctions while retaining and enhancing Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs. We cannot, we must not and we will not let him succeed.'
Madeline 'Not so Bright' Albright
'The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists.'
Bill Clinton
'Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.'
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I don't support everything Bush does, as a matter of fact I think it is embarrassing how he is managing this war. You cannot win a politically correct war. He is trying to do that. Let me ask you all a question; what was worse, Abu Ghraib or the sick terrorists decapitating innocent civilians and blowing up themselves in front of police stations in the name of Allah? If you said Abu Ghraib you, simply put, are mentally disabled. In the words of Michael Savage, "We need more Patton and less patent leather." and "Liberalism is a mental disorder."
Yes, a conservative is in charge of the opinion page but, unlike the left, I am willing to listen to and print the other side. I will never agree with them but I believe in freedom of speech and everyone in this country has a right to speak, no matter how stupid they sound when they do it. But there is a fine line between "freedom of speech" and aiding the enemy, which I will cover in a later issue.
Finally, I do not expect my views to go unchallenged, feel free to write an editorial on this article, but be warned, anything turned into me is fair game for this paper.

2 comments:

The Zombieslayer said...

"We need more Patton and less patent leather."

Sounds like something Savage would say. I loved Patton. Tragic he died in a stupid car accident.

I am willing to listen to and print the other side. I will never agree with them but I believe in freedom of speech and everyone in this country has a right to speak, no matter how stupid they sound when they do it.

Well said, Ben.

Ben said...

thank you ZS