Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Movie reviews...

Ok wow its been a long time since I've done this, I am going to review a boatload of movies here and I will be back blogging at least daily now after my 'blog vacation'. The movies I will be reviewing in order that I saw them (last to most recent) are, 'big breath'; Knight and Day, Toy Story 3, Grown Ups, Despicable me, Predators, Inception, The Sourcers Apprentice, and Salt. Along with IMDB and rottentomatoes.com ratings.

Knight and Day- Ok I really enjoyed this movie, the movie is like the Bourne series (not the last time I'm going to mention that) with humor and slapstick. Cruise can make fun of himself and overall its a very funny movie. It ends with a possible sequel and has cute side stories all throughout it. Unfortunately its out of play in most theaters so rent this movie when it comes out on DVD

my score: 7/10
IMDB: 6.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 54%

Toy Story 3- The final (hopefully) and long awaited end to the Toy Story trilogy. Pixar outdid themselves on this one and I think that this should be nominated for best picture like Up was last year. This is the story about growing up and not going in to too much detail Andy does something very cool at the end. And you will have a tough time holding back tears because me and my guy friend I saw this movie with did, it was very cute though. This is probably in my top 10 movies I have ever seen and it was funny (like all Pixar movies) but it was so well done that you forget you are watching a CGI movie.

my score: 10/10
IMDB: 9.0/10
Rotten Tomatoes:99%

Grown Ups- Meh ok movie. It was unmemorable like most Adam Sandler filcks but I didn't think it sucked as bad as people said it did. A few laughs and rent it on DVD.

my score: 5/10
IMDB: 5.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes:10%

Despicable Me- The evil genius movie with a twist and humor and a little soul too. If your looking for a movie like Toy Story 3 without all the tears at the end this is a good substitute. The inept evil villain, his rival, and his hilarious yellow minions (they never do explain where he found them, but it doesn't matter) and 3 little girls that change him for the better in the end. Great movie, fun for all ages (I don't see many movies like that) and a laugh riot all throughout. Best part of the movie is when Gru (Steve Carell) goes to the Bank of Evil (formerly Lehman Brothers) for a loan. I nearly died laughing. Go see it

my score: 8/10
IMDB: 7.8/10
Rotten Tomatoes:79%

Predators- This is the movie that should have been made right after the first Predator. Big problem; I CANNOT BUY ADRIAN FUCKING BRODY AS A MERCENARY! ok that said it was meh, ok, but Topher Grace (Eric Foreman) adds something of a twist at the end that I honestly didn't see coming. I wouldn't recommend this movie, just too out there.

my score: 3/10
IMDB: 7/10 (that surprises me)
Rotten Tomatoes: 64%

Inception-Wow where to begin. Christopher Nolan says it took him 10 years to write this script and its not that hard to believe. At the end its a dream within a dream, within a dream, within a dream. If that doesn't make sense to you you probably haven't seen the movie. If you have and it doesn't make sense you didn't pay attention for the first 30 minutes of this movie. It demands a lot from you and rewards you. At the end it will make you go "what the..." and will be a part of debates for decades to come. It is amazing cinematography and the plot is well defined. You will enjoy this movie and will want to see it again when it comes out on DVD

my score: 9.5/10
IMDB: 9.2/10 (#3 alltime on the IMDB top 250)
Rotten Tomatoes: 87%

The Sourcers Apprentice- Meh another okay movie that isn't anything special. I don't understand why everyone hates Nick Cage so much. He does a pretty good job in this movie as a tutor of magic. The plot moves along and has a good romantic ending. Nothing too special here though.

my score: 5/10
IMDB: 6.4/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 41%

Salt- If it is possible to love and hate a movie at the same time I did with this one. First off, and I'm not ruining anything by saying this, there WILL BE a Salt 2. I was hoping for the last 30 minutes of the movie that they would wrap it up and give closure but noo... we have to drag this story out over 2 maybe 3, movies. Ugh... that being said the action was amazing, Jolie was believable as a Russian secret agent (or is she?) the movie keeps you guessing until the very end and you get the creepy feeling that this isn't all that unrealistic considering 10 Russian spies were just arrested here and shipped back. You didn't hear about that? Well the media did a good job not covering that story. The movie almost gives you a feeling like someone is trying to tell us something, warn us if you will. But I digress, great movie, Jolie is the female Jason Bourne and there is a twist (or two, or three) at the end that will leave you going, huh and wtf. And wanting to see the sequel right away.

my score: 7/10
IMDB: 6.8/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 58%

Whew, that was a lot. More reviews next week or the week after depending on how often I'm able to get to the theater.

No comments: