Monday, April 18, 2011

When tragedy strikes home...

I have been relatively "lucky" so to speak when it come to unexpected tragedies. Like a friend dying suddenly in a car accident or losing a relative with no notice. Sadly that changed today at 6am about a block from where I live. We got a call from our neighbor at about 5am and she left a message, being half asleep I couldn't quite tell what she said but I knew it was probably bad but I just wanted to sleep for a few more hours before work. When another call came at 5:20 I knew something was very wrong. I heard my mom say that "The Robbs house is on fire" and I quickly put on some jeans and literally ran over there. I thought it was bad but I didn't realize how bad until I literally saw half a dozen fire trucks with upwards of 40 firemen out and about. I honestly thought (and hoped) I was still dreaming. That was until I felt the heat of the fire and smelled the smoke. Everyone was clamoring around and if you look at some of the video from early on in the fire I was one of those people standing there for what it matters. No one knew what was going on and then reality came up and slapped us in the face, she said she just saw our neighbors body being put into a bodybag. My mom and her friends all hugged each other and cried, it actually was really sweet and touching. Me and my mom's friends husband just kind of looked at each other but said nothing. What the hell can you say anyway. I became (and still am frankly) numb. I was close with her and that family. She was always nice to me and always asked how I was and was genuinely a nice person, not one of those fake nice edina people. I literally cannot remember a time where she didn't have a smile on her face. On a sidenote I always put her name down on job applications when they asked for recommendations of people you know just because I knew she would say something nice about me because thats just the kind of person she is/was (sorry it's still hard having to refer to her in the past tense). Why was she home by herself? No comment and lets leave it at that (I do know but am not saying, its not really important). The one amazing thing that has come out through this is not only the love and support this community has showed for them but thanks to technology there are literally hundreds of messages on the daughters' facebook pages showing love and support. If that love doesn't at least make you think there is a God out there you are one cold hearted person.
God, Cindy I don't even remember the last time I said hi to you it had been so long. Thank you so much for taking my Mom out for her birthday last week because that is the last memory she has of you and it was an amazing one. That is a priceless gift you gave her. Don't worry about Melissa, Catherine and Peter they are in great hands. I'm sure you are already watching over them and making sure they are safe. We will try to celebrate your life more than grieve about how you are gone but it will be hard. RIP Cindy, I still can't believe your gone...

No comments: