Monday, May 23, 2005

apparently I have some power... Who knew?

Well I was reading my email earlier today and I saw a letter that was called spotty's blog, it was a link to an article I had written over two months ago here on my blog. Here's the link http://retiregeoffmichel.blogspot.com/2005/05/letter-to-young-conservative.html (I still haven't gotten the hang of links on posts, it will be figured out soon). Basically after reading the post I have to admit it is well done but it proves something I have been almost assured of since I have gotten into politics, liberals are elitests. See he thinks that I think the fillibuster is a dirty word but don't forget this debate was the complete opposite in the 90's when 17 democrats (John Kerry and Ted Kennedy included) wanted to get rid of ALL FILLIBUSTERS, not just judicial ones. He speaks at the end about how he wants the equal protection of his beliefs while they are the minority, where were the protection of conservative beliefs when Clinton slashed the military budget in the 90's? Now I have been friends with this guys kid for nearly 14 years but I hope he realizes that one letter to me will not change my beliefs, if anything it strengthens them. I am welcome to more critiques and since I respect this well-educated person (even if he may be an elitest) and I will respond to the best of my ability. By the way asking for an up or down vote for the nominees blocked by the fillibuster isn't as bad as it sounds.

1 comment:

The Zombieslayer said...

I sincerely hope filibustering stays. It may be annoying, but it's one way to protect minority viewpoints from the tyranny of the majority.
Larry Pratt, head of Gun Owners of America, was mentioning how filibusters stopped some major anti-gun laws in the 90s. So filibustering can go either way. The way I see it, the less laws on the books, the better anyways. Kind of like the less taxes, the better.
I like your blog Ben. I don't agree with you on everything, but you're awesome because you have the guts to say what's on your mind.